Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Craft Project: Headbands













My girls were not blessed with fast growing, long, luxurious locks. Someday maybe, but for now we LOVE headbands! BP wears them all the time and now BB, who learns so much from her big sis, does too. Yesterday we made six new headbands. I have to give all the credit for this project to my friend Allison who inspired me to do it and also to Design Mom, another blog, which is where Allison first saw the idea.

This was simple, fun, and easy. Oh and did I say simple? So, so simple!

All you need is a glue gun, ribbon, headbands, and something pretty to adorn the headband.
I bought a package of three Goody headbands for $3
Then I wrapped the ribbon, starting from each side and meeting in the middle. I recommend satin or gross-grain ribbon. I used the hot glue just at the ends of the headband to attach the ribbon, not as I wrapped it.
Next attach the flower or button by looking in the mirror or using your child as a model.
I liked the headbands more when the decoration was off center a little.
And that is all there is to it.
Crewcuts, J.Crew's children's line is selling very similar headbands for $16.50. It cost us less than that to make six of them!



4 comments:

allison said...

I am making one of these TODAY! I found ugly kid-size headbands in the dollar bin at Target last night. I have ivory grosgrain ribbon and a big pink/white flower. I am so excited to do this. Yours look beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Lol, I love your tactfulness on the lack of locks as one of the driving forces behind creating these! Great idea!

Buby + Bleu said...

Yours came out REALLY lovely. Great job. I printed the directions from Design Mom a while back and thought that once I figure out the color of Bleu's 1st birthday dress I'd like to make her for her. I'll use your directions. She's so bald but has that hair that sticks down on her forehead... and I don't trust her with clips since everything goes in the mouth. This is perfect.

Julie said...

So cute!!!! And i love the pic of bb!