Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Jadeite



About 10 years ago I began a slight obsession with Jadeite. To be honest I have an obsession with all dishes, and if I did not realize how ridiculous and impractical it would be to own 50 different patterns...well, I would own 50 different patterns. BUT, I do realize and I have cut myself off at 4. Jadeite is one that made the cut. I love its creamy, milky green, semi-translucnet quality. It looks different in all lights and depending on what kind of food or beverage is in it. I love that mysterious quality about it...it can never be boring. And so Jadeite has a special place on my shelves and in my home. It is hard to find and slightly pricey, which is funny because it is from the 40's, 50's, and 60's and they used to give it away then. The Anchor Hocking Glass company produced it and then it was given away in grocery stores and such for promotional reasons. For example, you could get a set of Jadeite if you bought a certain amount of flour or sugar. It was also used in diners, school cafeterias, and military bases because its durability was unmatched. In our new kitchen there is a very high and narrow ledge that I placed a couple Jadeite egg cups on when we moved in, and I love the look. I found one more egg cup recently and added it to my collection. It may take ten years to fill the ledge, but that is the joy of collecting!

2 comments:

Buby + Bleu said...

I love this material as well. The milky color is so pretty. Happy collecting.

Buby + Bleu said...

Oh, and by the way... I was in Home Goods the other day admiring a dinnerware pattern and thought of you.