Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Irish Soda Bread




We sent BP off to school in her kilt all excited and ready for St. Patrick's Day. (I swear her hair looked a little redder this morning.) BB and I got to work on making the Irish Soda Bread. We made 10 mini loaves and 2 large loaves. Here is my Pop-Pop Wentworth's recipe... Warning this recipe makes A LOT of soda bread. You can adjust it or cut everything in half to make less. Also this soda bread is very moist, a little sweet, and has lots of raisins. It is delicious!


1st soak 2 cups of raisins in hot water

drain raisins when fat

Then in a large bowl...

4 cups whole milk

8 tbsps white vinegar

3 eggs

1/4 tsp baking soda

7 cups flour

2 cups raisins

1 cup sugar

2 tbsps + 2 tsps baking powder

2 tsps salt

mix well

pour into buttered and floured pan

bake at 375 until golden

baking time depends on size of loaf pan


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you to the leprechauns that delivered the delicious soda bread on our front steps today. It was great! The 3 J's

Lilypad Mom said...

That sounds really good!

Buby + Bleu said...

Yum. I think I'll try this next year. This St. Pat's I had Kitty make a loaf for Tom. I don't like raisons myself, so I'd like to swap those out for chocolate chips. Ha.