Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A Waldorf Day


The Barefoot Princess, Barefoot Baby and I spent a few hours at a Waldorf Preschool in our area today. I was familiar with the Waldorf style of learning and philosophies before our visit, but it was an enlightening experience to spend some time in the actual school setting. The best words to describe this preschool would be "very interesting". This type of school was started by an Austrian scientist and thinker Rudolph Steiner, who believed that when children relate what they learn to their own expereince, they are interested and alive, and what they learn becomes their own. There are over 900 waldorf schools in 40 countries and the very first was The Steiner School in NYC which opened in 1928. The Waldorf curriculum embraces a gentle connection with nature, music, art, stroytelling, rhythm, handwork with nautral fibers and learning. After spending time at the school today I realize that it is all about simplicity and connecting with the earth. I do not think that Waldorf is the right match for The Barefoot Princess, but I want to say as a parent and an educator I can definitely appreciate what the school is all about. My concern is that BP would not be prepared for the "real world" upon leaving a program like Waldorf because unfortunately our world today is so fast paced and competitive and Waldorf is so relaxed and simple. I think that combining the Waldorf style with a traditonal preschool would be the ideal match. Sort of the best of both worlds. If I only had more time to start a preschool of my own this is what I would do.
The Barefoot Princess surprised me and left my side to join the other children as soon as we arrived at the school. After that she never acknowledged my existence for the next two hours, but followed the teacher's directions or the other children as they went through their dalily activities. When it was time to leave she told me, "I stay here...you go" and then when I went to pick her up because she would not come with me she told me, "back mommy!" BP should definitely be ready for preschool in the Fall...the question is will Daddy and I be ready to let go??? Probably not!!
Just a couple of notes on the Waldorf style that I noticed today and really liked...
1. No shoes allowed in the classroom. The children all have slippers that they keep at school and change into them when they arrive. This was right up BP's alley because we all know how she would much rather be barefoot!! She whipped off her shoes when the teacher asked us to and I had to stop her from taking off her socks too!
2. The toys are all simple and handmade allowing for more creativity and imagination during playtime.
3. The lunch / snacktime is all heathly / organic food. The little boy next to BP was eating cheese, crackers, and dried seaweed.
He also told me that The Barefoot Baby should really be breastfed when she woke up and demanded her bottle. I did not know what to say!
4. The school asks that the children wear simple clothes with no characters and I love this,,, no light up shoes!! As a teacher I always found these distracting too.
5. They spend a lot of time outside doing projects or just playing. This is right up BP's alley.
6. The teacher, Miss Cathryn, was very sweet and used the calmest tone when speaking to the children or redirecting them.
7. The children were happy, always a sign of a good school, and I liked how they helped each other. (The ages ranged from 2-5)
8. Last, I could tell BP felt comfortable right away and the children involved her in their activities and playing immediately.
The pictures above show a Waldorf classroom and Waldorf baby dolls. I bought a blue baby for BP and a pink one for BB for Christmas. They are adorable and oh so soft and handmade by Miss Cathryn herself.
For more information on the school we visited today you can go to... www.goldencircle preschool.org

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like "relaxed and simple"..what a special gift to be able to give our little ones...guess it's the old hippie in me!!
Love you!

allison said...

I've never been to a Waldorf in person, but I remember reading about Rudolf Steiner in college. I thought the schools sounded so interesting and now I find myself wondering if it's a path we should take. I do enjoy the many different philosophies of education and I'm curious as to which approach we'll take. Sounds like you had a great day today.

Buby + Bleu said...

Sounds like a nice way to spend an afternoon. We'll be touring the school next Wednesday, but after researching it, I'm already having many of the same thoughts. Lots of pros, but definitely alternative. In a perfect world, Buby could spend 1/2 his preschool time at this school and 1/2 at a more rigid curriculum-based school... which might keep him focused better (given his personality, energy, love for books, and desire to always be quizzed and challenged).